Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Sep 24th, 2017, 8:19am
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Script Editor / Final Cut Pro Editor (Read 1776 times)
willshootforfood
YaBB Newbies

Script Editor / Final Cut Pro Editor
Mar 22nd, 2006, 2:18am

Hi there.

I'm new to the GTA, and would like to offer my services as a script editor and FCP editor to those in need. I written, directed, and edited several short films, some of which have won awards.

I have my own editing suite with FCP 5.0

Please email me if you're looking for help!

looking forward to helping you out!

Chris.

Email   IP Logged
jenbishop
YaBB Newbies

Re: Script Editor / Final Cut Pro Editor
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2006, 10:49am

Hi there Chris,

I just registered to Schmoozerama and saw your post.
I wonder if I can ask you some questions please.

You have edited scripts, how does that work, forgive me if I am asking you a redundant questions but I am new to the biz and I am working on two screenplays at present, Feature lengths.
You also edit film, is that what Final Cut Pro Editor is for?

How does that work, and how much are you per hr or per project etc.  
Thank you very much.
I hope you like TO, I don't live there and wish I did, soo handy for the industry.
Take good care and look forward to hearing from you soon.
Jeanette

IP Logged
willshootforfood
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2006, 7:24pm

Hi Jeanette.

Script Editing is a process whereby a script editor works with a writing to fix problems they may be having with a script. This usually takes the form of meetings and written critiques with the writer. A script editor can provide a fresh and objective look at problems, and the writer can benefit from their experience and knowledge of film.  

This is as opposed to a script doctor, who simply takes the script and rewrites it for a producer, with no input from the original writer.

Prices can vary a great deal, depending on the project and who hires the script editor. I would probably charge $100 for a critique and consultation, plus $50 per draft of the script.

Final Cut Pro is a video editing program for Mac computers. It is fairly easy to use with some practice, but the more complex effects take time to learn. As an editor, I usually charge $20 an hour. Professional editors can charge hundreds per hour, in addition to rental fees for equipment.

I'm fairly new to TO myself, but its a great town so far, lots of friendly people and good opportunities.

Hope that answers your questions. Good luck with your projects.

Email   IP Logged
Will
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2006, 3:41pm

Jennette,

Not to meddle in anyone's business, but the going rate for paid video editors via FCP, Premiere, Avid and the like for low-to-no budget indy films is no more than $10 per hour or $100 per day.

You can also find deals for Pentacle or other software.  The stuff can take time to learn, but once you do you will never read an editing offer the same again.

Also, if you are a director, get off the clock wherever possible.

As for script editing, LIFT has two screenwriting groups or forums and there are many in the city where helping others is the only trade-off.  Also, zoetrope.com allows you to post scripts for reviews, review others and informally post segments in peer offices for other comments.  Triggerstreet is another place to post for reviews, though it is best to be as polished as possible by then.

The Development House - likely the most professional and "inside" coverage place, does charge over a hundred bucks per script (they have deals occassionally), but quite frankly the feedback they give won't be much different from the better members of zoetrope and so on.  Another thing to save until you are sure about the final draft.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print